Monday, June 15, 2009

Glass Etching With Cricut Machine & Vinyl!

I saw this really cute idea, that I fell in LOVE with, while visiting Living With Lindsay's blog. She put her dish, and hand soap into olive oil bottles and sat them next to the sink!

She boosted the "WOW" factor by sitting them on a white dish and adding a tiny vase of fresh cut roses. How COOL is that? Check out her blog to see her version of this fun project!

Well, I had been buying the smaller bottles of soap, and then refilling them, because you could see my kitchen sink area from the living room, and I really didn't like seeing the taller plastic bottles over the top of the counter. It was not attractive AT ALL! So, I decided to make my own pretty soap bottles!!

Because our dish and hand soap are both purple (or slight variations of it) I decided to take my bottles a step further by etching on the fronts of them. I made a stencil for the "H" and the "D" out of vinyl on my Cricut machine. Then I put the stencil on the bottles and applied the etching cream on top of it. I let it sit for about five to ten minutes, and washed it off! TA DA! This is the final result! I totally LOVE the way they turned out!



This one is a little blurry, but I wanted you to see the letters better, so I moved the flowers off the plate, and sat them on the counter.



And, the bottles by themselves.



I will definitely need to dilute the soap down some, but I wanted to fill them up high enough to see the color behind the letters.

The letters were cut using the Storybook Cricut Cartridge. I found the bottles at Old Time Pottery. They were sold as a set for $4.99! You can't beat that!

6 comments:

Lindsay @ Makely said...

This is wonderful! I love it!

I totally envy your Cricut. I have a Sizzix but didn't use it very often, so I haven't been able to convince myself to buy a Cricut. I could use it for a ton of stuff, though.

Anne said...

They look fantastic! I recently updated my bathroom that way, but never thought about the kitchen. I could use some lovely in the kitchen too!

Carla said...

OMG!!! Kathy, they turned out gorgeous!!! I HAVE to try that out!! Although I don't have the etching stuff for my cricut but I do love the olive oil jar idea. I do have different colored soap I think, so I wouldn't need the letters, but it does look really cool on the bottles!! Or.... you could do them for me, hehe.

Cheryl Wray said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Love this idea!

Anonymous said...

They are just Lovely Kathy!!! Great job. Love the idea :-)
I got a new faucet a few months ago and it came with a soap dispenser that is actually inserted beneath the sink with only the push part showing above the sink and it matches the faucet. I didn't plan on buying one of these when I went looking for a new faucet (my old one was awful), but I sure like it now as I don't have to see an ugly soap bottle sitting on the sink.

Just Me Again said...

Such a beautiful idea! Love the results! :D

Sooo sorry I haven't been around much. I really try to stretch time as much as possible, LOL. I will try better! :D