Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Operation Baking Gals - Update!



The team (Spatulas & Corkscrews) that I am on for Operation Baking Gals, received a little information about the soldier we are sending care packages too.

I don't have a photo to show you, but hopefully we will get one of him after he receives all of it.

His name is Michael Jones and he's a Chaplain with the 10th Mountain Division, stationed out of Fort Drum, New York. He is now in Iraq, stationed at Camp Victory.

Since he is a Chaplain, we know that he will have LOTS of people to share all of our home baked goodies with.

Here's what I put in my box:

Oatmeal Scotchies



This is one of our FAVORITE cookies! I have mentioned them before.

Rice Krispy Treats



Doesn't EVERYBODY love these? You cannot go wrong with Rice Krispy Treats!

Homemade Chex Mix



This is SO good! Once you start eating it, you CANNOT stop! I used to work with a girl that made this all the time. She would bring each of us our own baggie filled with this addicting mixture. Of course, I had to get the recipe from her!

Homemade Chex Mix

Ingredients:

3/4 box Rice Chex Cereal
1 Family Size Box Cheezits
1 Family Size Box Wheat Thins
1/2 lb. (1/2 bag) Pretzel Squares
1 10 oz. Bag Oyster Crackers
3 Cups Peanuts Or Cashews

Dressing:

2 Cups Canola Oil
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Dill Weed Powder
2 pkgs or 1/2 cup Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix (Dry)
2 tsp. Lemon Pepper

In a large roasting pan, mix all of the crackers, cereal, and nuts together. In a small mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the dressing ingredients. Pour over cereal mixture. Stir. Bake @ 250 degrees for 30 minutes, stir mixture, and continue baking for 30 more minutes.

Note: I did not use any nuts in the batch I made, because we don't like nuts in ours. I bought some OKE-DOKE brand Corn Puffs (because we are always picking the puffy things out of the store bought Chex Mixes and eating them) and used that instead. I also had to bake this in two batches, because it makes A LOT! I didn't have a pan big enough to bake all of it in at once. I mixed it all together in a HUGE pot, then poured half of it into the roasting pan.

I finished everything up last night, and mailed it out today.



I cannot wait to hear that it has reached him!

In the meantime, I am going to start gathering stuff for the next round. I am sure they will begin teaming up again soon. Packages are mailed out at the end of every month. If you are interested in participating, please go to the Operation Baking Gals site for more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh Rian will love you if you are his baker!