Friday, June 13, 2008

A Little Of This And That!

Hey everyone!

Not much going on right now! (Except, that it's RAINING again!) I have been busy doing the "Flylady" thing! This week, I scrubbed the front of my kitchen cabinets, washed the curtains in the kitchen, dining room, and living room, and did other things that haven't been done in a while. I really need to tackle the area on top of my cabinets! I am NOT looking forward to THAT! Why? Because, I have all kinds of stuff up there that needs to be cleaned! Things like, artificial plants, glass baubles, antique beaters, a doll my mother made, a clown that Mr. Mister's parents bought me in Las Vegas (almost 20 years ago) a gold bell that Mr. Mister brought back from Korea, and even a fairy house teapot!



The above pictures only show a "portion" of the area above my cabinets! NOW do you understand why I am not looking forward to it? ROFL!

I've also been looking for new recipes to try. Brat Girl and I have been craving potato soup in a bread bowl. (YEAH, I know it's HOT outside! LOL! But, all food that has been cooked is HOT when you eat it! Soup is no different! LOL) So, I went looking at All Recipes and found these!



Baked Potato Soup I

Submitted by: Sherry Haupt Photo by: Rebecca
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 920 members Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings

"This soup incorporates pre-baked cubes of potato with onion, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese and sour cream in a milk soup base which has been thickened with a roux."

INGREDIENTS:
12 slices bacon
2/3 cup margarine
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
7 cups milk
4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 green onions, chopped
1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
2. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
3. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com



Italian Bread Bowls

Submitted by: Kerri Skrudland Photo by: Docswife
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 144 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings

"These cute little bread bowls are a great way to serve soup in the wintertime. I usually serve a hearty potato soup when I have the time to bake them. They freeze for up to 1 month, if desired."

INGREDIENTS:
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add salt, oil and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition.
3. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
4. Punch dough down, and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 35 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, beat together egg white and 1 tablespoon water; lightly brush the loaves with half of this egg wash.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Brush with remaining egg mixture, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
7. To make bowls: Cut a 1/2 inch thick slice from top of each loaf; scoop out centers, leaving 3/4-inch-thick shells. Fill bread bowls with hot soup and serve immediately.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com

YUM! I'll be adding these to the menu! I cannot wait to try them! If you read the reviews, other people have made suggestions on how to change things, or make them even better, so I may play with the soup a bit. We'll see!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet Mr. Mister the other day. :)
The soup looks so yummy. I am in the mood for chili myself, but as I am the only one in the house who will eat it, I think I'll pass for now. Maybe I'll pick some up at Wendys next time we're in the big city. ~~Rhonda :)

Dayami said...

Baked potato soup?!!! omg that sounds/looks delish! You have no idea how many baked potatoes I've eaten this past 1.5 weeks. YUM!
Thanks for sharing ;)

Mosaic*Queen said...

I don't think I'll ever get around to doing what the Flygal suggests, as I'm always fixing or repairing something else! LOL!!
Potato soup sounds good!!

Hugs to you!

Michelle

Cheryl Wray said...

OMG... that soup looks SO good!!!!!!